Editor’s note: To answer your question, before my little story, NO. It is not safe to roast a marshmallow over a candle. I mean you’re probably not going to drop dead from it or anything, but it’s not super good for you either.. Sorry to be the one to tell it to you. I’ve done it before,and this is the tale:
-Ruthie, Jan 14, 2016.
One rainy afternoon in the month of February, Katelyn and I were craving something sweet. Hmmm… What was sweet in the kitchen?… Apples? Nah- too nutritious.. Hot chocolate? Nah- too flavorful. Marshmallows. Sugary, flavorless marshmallows were what our tastebuds craved.
I am not one of those folks who can just eat a marshmallow without toasting it first. Icky. More power to you if you like them that way, but that ain’t me. Unfortunately, Katelyn and I couldn’t use our crazy boyscout skills to start a fire outside the apartment; it was raining outside. It was looking like no marshmallows for Ruthie.
………But then we saw it…
……………….The vanilla-scented candle, sitting beautifully on the counter..
“Hey! Let’s roast marshmallows over the candle,” we thought. And we did. And we took pictures. And we ate them (the marshmallows, not the pictures- silly goose). They were yummy and tasted slightly of vanilla.
“Man.. Why don’t more people do this?,” we thought.
That weekend, I was hanging out with my boyfriend, Vilai, and wanted to impress him with how much crazy fun I have up at Clemson.
“Hey, guess what Katelyn and I did this week?”
“We roasted marshmallows over a candle!! It was so crazy fun!”
*Look of horror crosses his face* “Ruthie… that’s dangerous_ They soak those wicks in harmful chemicals. It could be toxic.”
“Oh.. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.. I was wondering why people didn’t do it all the time”
“Didn’t it taste weird?”
“Oh no, it was delicious!”
So I did a bit of research, and my dear Vilai is right. I mean, there are quite a lot of people who candle-roast anyways, and they give lovely directions for how to do it too! But it has been shown that a lot of candles give off a small ammount of toxins when they’re burned. It’s highly doubtful that one marshmallow is going to do anything to me, but I’m not going to make a habit of roasting my marshmallows over candles- playing it safe.
If you are one of those who is addicted to roasting your marshmallows over a candle -perhaps because you don’t have the crazy-boyscout-firestarting skills that Katelyn and I have-, then switch to beeswax candles. The internet agrees they are safer.
If you are not addicted to roasting marshmallows over a candle, don’t start now.